UK Card Expenditure Statistics: January 2017
Payment card spending in January 2017 was £57.1 billion, up by £0.5 billion (0.8 per cent) on December.
- Spending was up by £5 billion year on year
- The number of purchases reached a new monthly record of 1.3 billion
- Online spending amounted to 27 per cent of total card spending, with 176 million purchases worth £15.3 billion
- Retail sector card spending grew by £134 million in January, to £25.7 billion. The largest increases came from automotive fuels and food and drink
- Within the service sector, spending grow by £334 million to £31.4 billion, with the entertainment sub-sector a strong contributor to growth
- The debit and credit card share of total retail sales was 77.4 per cent in January.
Glossary View Items Highlight Unhighlight