Latest News

Making a complaint

If you wish to make a complaint about your credit or debit card issuer, you can do so online, on the phone or in writing. If your credit or debit card issuer cannot deal with your complaint by the day after they receive it, they will contact you to let you know they are investigating it.

They must tell you about their progress and ensure you receive a final response within eight weeks.

Complaing to the Financial Ombudsman Service

You can also refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. They will review your complaint by weighing up all the facts. This service is free, independent and impartial.

If the ombudsman adjudicates in your favour and you have lost out financially, your credit or debit card issuer may be told to put things right.

Their decision is binding on credit and debit card issuers, but you do not have to accept their decision.

You may take your case to court, but this may take longer and could be expensive.

Financial Ombudsman Service
0800 023 4567 or 0300 123 9 123

Complaining about a retailer

If you have a complaint about how a retailer has handled your card payment, you can report this to Citizens Advice.

Citizens Advice

Glossary View Items Highlight Unhighlight
You are here:  Home / Consumer / Individual /  Making a complaint
Close Glossary

Glossary of words on this page