Latest News

Disputed transactions

If for any reason you find a problem with the goods or services that you’ve bought with your credit card you should first contact the retailer or service provider, in order to get the issue resolved as quick as possible.

  • The longer you wait to complain the more difficult it may be to prove your case.
  • A retailer cannot refuse a refund for goods that are obviously faulty and so you should not accept a credit note if you do not want one.
  • Try to provide some form of proof of purchase. It need not be a receipt; a credit card statement will often be enough.
  • If the retailer or service provider will not assist you or refuses to accept your complaint, then you should write a letter of complaint to either its head office or manager.
  • If all else fails, you can try and get a refund from your credit card company. Copies of any correspondence with the retailer involved in your complaint will help. Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 your credit card company and the retailer could be equally liable in the event of any breach of contract or misrepresentation.

Remember that you’re not legally entitled to a refund if you simply change your mind about what you have bought. However, many retailers are happy to exchange goods or give a refund or a credit note if you do change your mind.

Glossary View Items Highlight Unhighlight
You are here:  Home / Consumer / Individual / Your rights and responsibilities /  Disputed transactions
Close Glossary

Glossary of words on this page