2013 facts and figures
Quarterly market trends
The quarterly statistical release provides a regular update, with statistics covering debit and credit card spending, credit card lending and repayments and outstanding balances. This is an example of the regular dissemination of industry information.
Number of cards at year end
- There were 175.6 million cards in issue: 55.4 million credit cards; 6.3 million charge cards; 95.7 million debit cards and 18.3 million ATM-only cards.
Credit and charge card figures
- Credit and charge cards were used to make 2.3 billion purchases in the UK to a value of £142 billion.
- There were around 30 million credit card holders in 2013 – accounting for 60% of the UK adult population.
- On average, credit card holders made 71 payments in the year, spending £4,100.
Debit card reports
The monthly debit card report provides a regular update with statistics covering debit card spending in the UK and abroad. The data is sourced from issuers of UK debit cards.
Internet card use
- Online debit card spending passed online credit card spending for the first time in 2012. In 2013 debit card spending was £40 billion, compared to £34 billion on credit cards.
- Total card spending increased by almost £6 billion in 2013. Consumers spent £74 billion online last year – 14% of personal card spending.
- Almost nine in ten used the internet for personal purposes in 2013, including 40% who did so using a mobile phone. 91% of regular internet users shopped online during 2013.
- Online debit card volumes are almost one and a half times those of credit cards. Debit card volumes were 545 million in 2013, compared to 424 million credit card payments.
Card expenditure statistics
Card Expenditure Statistics reveal where credit, debit and charge cards are used in the UK. They are reported to The UK Cards Association by banks and other financial institutions, known as merchant acquirers, that process plastic card transactions on behalf of businesses and enterprises.
Spending is shown separately for debit and credit cards, by volume and by value, and the location is broken down into the principle UK retail and services sectors with a detailed analysis covering over 100 merchant categories across the full range of industries in the UK.
Detailed sector breakdown
The Detailed Sector Breakdown is an Excel spreadsheet that details the values and volumes of credit and debit card spending since January 2005. This document will be updated when the card expenditure statistics are updated (monthly).