Debit card figures
Debit card transactions* as percentage of card market
- Debit cards were used to make 7.3 billion purchases in the UK to a value of £334 billion.
- There were 45.7 million debit card holders, equivalent to 90% of the adult population.
- There were 36.9 million regular users of debit cards for purchases in the UK, each making on average 195 payments during the year.
- More than 60% of debit card holders had just one debit card while 3% had four or more.
- Debit cards accounted for 48% of the value of UK retail sales.
- Debit cards were used 2.6 billion times to acquire £178 billion of cash in the UK.