Debit card figures (2010)
Debit card transactions* as percentage of card market
- Debit cards were used to make 6.4 billion purchases in the UK to a value of £292 billion.
- Debit cards were used 2.4 billion times to acquire £172 billion of cash in the UK.
- There were 44.9 million debit card holders, accounting for 89% of the adult population.
- There were 33.1 million regular users of debit cards, each making 190 payments on average during the year in the UK.
- More than 60% of all debit card holders had only one debit card while 3% had four or more.
- The number of debit card payments is forecast to grow from 6.4 billion to 12.8 billion payments between 2010 and 2020, and spending to increase from £292 billion to £616 billion over the same period.