Debit card figures (2008)
Debit card transactions* as percentage of card market
- Debit cards were used to make 5.4 billion purchases in the UK to a value of £241 billion with an average transaction value of £45.
- Debit cards were used 2.4 billion times to acquire £163 billion of cash in the UK.
- There were 42.1 million debit cardholders, or 85% of the adult population.
- There were 31.1 million regular users of debit cards each making 171 payments in the UK on average during the year.
- 64% of debit cardholders had only one debit card, while 9% had three or more.
- The number of debit card payments is forecast to grow from 5.4 billion to 9.4 billion payments between 2008 and 2018, and spending to increase from £241 billion to £477 billion over the same period.